Name: Ashlyn George
How many countries have you travelled to?
I’ve been to 52 countries on six continents.
What was your first overseas trip?
In 2001 my parents took one of my brothers and I over to England to visit the small town my grandfather was born in. We stopped in Paris and drove through England and Scotland. I barely remember it now but that was my very first trip across the ocean as well as on an airplane. I still love flying on airplanes to this day.
What is your favourite destination in the world and why?
That is such a tough question. I spent a month in Madagascar and really enjoyed my time there partially because it’s not as easy to access as the rest of Africa and also because it’s not as well travelled by foreigners. The best part was the amazing nature and hiking I was able to experience while in the country. I’d like to go back one day.
What inspired you to start a travel blog?
It naturally came about because I was being asked by so many people about travel and advice for locations I had been. I decided the easiest way was to write about it in one location so people could access all my information and tips versus writing it out every time someone asked. I also like to write so it was a natural fit.
What has been the most rewarding aspect of travel blogging?
I am always surprised and delighted when people message me to tell me how inspired they are by my lifestyle. It’s not always easy nor is it as glamorous as social media makes it look but I enjoy teaching others about the world as I’ve experienced it and influencing them to be curious about their surroundings as well.
Name three things on your bucket list:
- Niagara Falls. I’ve been to Victoria and Iguazu so just need to finish off with the third largest waterfall in the world, which also happens to be the closest to me only two provinces over!
- I want to hit 7 continents by the time I’m 30. Just need to save up a little more money to make it happen.
- Easter Island has always been a dream destination. Maybe I’ll combine it with my Antarctica trip!
Where are you off to on your next trip?
Oddly I have nothing official planned. I’m throwing around the idea of Toronto or Cuba in the next month but haven’t yet booked those flights. Bigger trips I’m looking at heading to Indonesia, India and Antarctica but they’ll be for more than just a few weeks and will have to work in with my freelance writing and speaking career. I’m also writing a book right now and that’s taking priority over my travels.
Apart from travel, name three other interest/hobbies that not many people may know about you:
- I love reading. I actually love reading more than travelling as it takes you to different places around the world and sometimes into completely made up worlds. It’s the ultimate in travel (in your head) if you can’t actually leave your city.
- I love to run. I’ve done a half marathon every year for the last half decade. I often listen to audiobooks and find it’s a great time to disconnect from social media, messages and e-mails.
- I love the outdoors. This ties in closely with travel as I’m an outdoor adventurer, but I love getting outside hiking, camping and exploring beautiful natural destinations I’ve never been to. You’re more likely to see me outside a city than in a city!